Friday, August 30, 2013

Author Spotlight & Review - Stay With Me by Elyssa Patrick



Elyssa Patrick is a former high school English teacher who left the classroom to write sexy, emotional contemporary romances and New Adult.

Elyssa On The Web

elyssapatrick.blogspot.com
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

 

Stephanie: Hi Elyssa! Congratulations on the release of Stay With Me. I read it and absolutely loved it. What was your inspiration for writing the story?

Elyssa: Hi, Stephanie! Thanks so much for having me on your blog. I’m so glad you loved Stay With Me. :)

Basically the inspiration for the story was that I really wanted to write a famous heroine who leaves it all behind for a normal life. I would read articles about famous actresses who attend college (like Anne Hathaway, the Olsen twins, Emma Watson, and Brooke Shields), but all of those actresses returned to Hollywood or are still in the public eye, like the Olsen twins. I just kept thinking, well, what if she didn’t want to return and she went to college to get away from it all.

Stephanie: Being that you are a former high school English teacher, which I am sure is a crazy job itself, what made you decide to make the jump from teacher to author? Was it something you've always wanted to do?

Elyssa: Yes, writing and being an author is something I’ve always wanted to do since I was really little. But it seemed like something that other people did, and there was no way I could do that, could I? When I was teaching, it was a really bad experience for me, and I decided to go after my dream, because I don’t want to look back on my life and wonder: what if? I left my first job and had a one-year teaching job at another high school, but at the end of that year, I decided to leave teaching behind for a variety of reasons.

Stephanie: I was excited to discover that Stay With Me is the first in a series. What can we look forward to in the future for the series?

Elyssa: Yay! I’m so glad you’re looking forward to the rest. In December of this year, Christmas With Me, a novella (1.5 in the series), will be released. It takes place in a made up town in Connecticut and Jamie McAlister is the hero in that story. That novella will be a combo of funny and sad—and, of course, sexy. I can’t wait for everyone to meet Zelda (the heroine). Go With Me, Book 2, is Nick Brady’s book and that will come out in Spring 2014. I’ll reveal Nick’s heroine probably in the back of Christmas With Me. And the last book, Dream With Me, is Griff Sinclair’s book and will come out Fall 2014. I’m still debating about doing a novella between books 2 and 3, but I’ll have to see about that after I start writing book Nick’s book, as I think that would push Book 3’s release to early 2015. It all depends if Kai or Dylan want their story told. :)


 

Him: Caleb Fox
Her: Hailey Bloom
The Story:
With one look, I’m his . . .
With one touch, he’s mine . . .
With one kiss, it changes everything between us . . .

I’ve been famous since I can remember. Singing, acting, dancing—I’ve done it all. The tabloids cover my every move, but I don’t want that anymore. I want to be normal, whatever that is.

When I leave Hollywood for college in Vermont, I’m on my own for the first time in my life. This is my chance to figure out who I am and what I want in life.

But it’s a lot harder than I expected. I can’t escape my image. Classes are difficult, and I’m struggling. And then there’s Caleb Fox.

Sexy, intriguing Caleb Fox.

Caleb is the one man who doesn’t want to use me. He breaks down my walls. He challenges me. He wants me. And I just don’t know if I can give him the same—or if he’ll stick around when he finds out my shameful secret that the tabloids haven’t managed to uncover.

Dating him is risky enough, but loving him could break me.

 
Trying to find a new purpose in life after leaving the spotlight, Hailey is wary about trusting anyone. She's never met anyone like Caleb, who seems to be genuinely interested in her and not for what she can do for him. I loved Hailey and Caleb. Hailey is on her own for the first time in her life and is working to creating a life separate from the fame she grew up with. She is determined not to let anyone sidetrack her. Caleb is just as determined to show her that he wants to get to know her and not her celebrity persona. Elyssa Patrick is a new author for me. I came across Stay With Me and I loved the cover. When I read the blurb it sounded interesting so I decided to give it a shot and requested it. I am happy that I did. I loved Caleb and Hailey. The chemistry was between them from the start. Even though Hailey was wary about trusting him, she still took the risk that Caleb wouldn't hurt her. You also meet Daphne, Caleb's sister, who quickly becomes friends with Hailey. Daphne is a hoot and I hope she gets her own book. Stay With Me will make you laugh, it'll make you feel, it'll make you want to punch Hailey's mother. ;) if you haven't read Elyssa yet, I would definitely pick up Stay With Me. I look forward to more books in the series.

Favorite quote:
"I wait a second before texting: You're a good writer.
Caleb: ???
Me: I Googled you.
My cheeks heat at this admission, and I bite my lower lip. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all.
Caleb: You Googled me, huh? That sounds kinda dirty. I like that. "

 

 
I took a shot at an unknown-to-me author and found a book/series that I really enjoyed. I look forward to reading more by Elyssa. Do you like to discover new-to-you authors? 


3 comments:

  1. aw that's great you decided to go after your dream and make it a reality! Congrats on the release :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love discovering new-to-me authors. You can never have enough good stories that suck you right in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued. I am going to have to put this book on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete